Q: What does it mean when your check engine / VSC lights are on?

asked by on March 01, 2018

My check engine light as well as my VSC light is flashing on and off, and my vehicle is shaking.

If the check engine light is flashing, you need to stop driving the car. The check engine light will come on steady if the engine controller has detected a fault in the engine management system. It will flash if the fault is likely to cause damage to the catalytic converter. The VSC light is for the Vehicle Stability Control system and it is probably indicating that whatever fault exists, is common to the two systems. In other words, you will probably be able to solve both lights with one repair. The warning lights also tell you that there are fault codes stored in the controller that can be read by a technician with the appropriate scanning equipment. This will help with the diagnosis. If you contact YourMechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to scan you car’s controllers for codes and let you know what steps you need to take to solve the problem.