Q: What do I do if the engine doesn’t start?

What do I do if the engine doesn’t start?

A: There are several potential reasons for you...

There are several potential reasons for your car not to start. Here are the steps you should take to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Turn the key to on. Does the starter engage? If it does engage, is it slow? If this is the case, the most likely culprit is the battery. Turn on the interior lights and check to see if they are as bright as normal. If not, you need a jump start (or a new battery).

2. Turn the key to on. Does the starter engage normally? If so, make sure you have the car in park and your foot on the brake. You should also check the following:

• Fuel: Do you have enough gas?

• Fuses: Check your fuses to make sure that none of them are blown.

• Immobilizer: Is the green immobilizer light blinking in the dash? This indicates that the key is not programmed.