Q: What could be the causing loss of power while accelerating leading to engine stalling? 2011 Chevrolet Aveo

During the first 10 minutes of driving from a cold start, my car does any of the following randomly: 1. While stopped, engine suddenly rumbles and the car stalls and stops. 2. When accelerating from any speed, the car suddenly loses power and drops to about 10 mph...even on the highway. Stepping on the gas or releasing on the gas does not change anything. The car needs to be stopped and restarted. 3. When applying constant pressure on the accelerator, the car occasionally has an short acceleration burst.

When either #1 or #2 happens, pulling to the side of the road and restarting the car will resolve the problem. But it may happen again shortly after. These problems do not seem to happen once the engine is warm after 10+ minutes of driving.

Hi there - based on the symptoms you describe, I suspect that either the throttle position sensor or the fuel pump (or fuel pump relay) are failing. The result is either incorrect throttle position reported to the engine computer, or inadequate fuel pressure to fire the injectors. I recommend a car is stalling inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• What could be the causing loss of power while accelerating leading to engine stalling? 2011 Chevrolet Aveo