Q: What are the signs that my fuel filter or fuel pump has failed?

My car died out today as I was driving, and it started to spit and sputter down the road. Some one said it could be the fuel filter or pump which one should I try first?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Common symptoms of a malfunctioning fuel pump include sputtering at high speeds, loss of power during acceleration, loss of power to the vehicle while under stress, surging, and an engine that will not start. Common signs of a bad fuel filter include the car being hard to start or an engine misfire. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. What are the signs that my fuel filter or fuel pump has failed?