Q: What are the cause of my car going into limp mode and what can i do to fix it myself? 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse

asked by on February 21, 2017

About 3 months ago i had a blown headgasket and had it repaired by a mechanic. Ever since the day i brought it home, the car has been going into limp mode. At first i didnt think much of it, but now its starting to bother me. I noticed limp mode is triggered more often when i press on the gas kindoff hard, but even when im just driving normally it will go into limp mode. Im just wondering if there are any common issues i could check myself because i would rather not pay a mechanic to do something i can do myself

Hello - the first thing to do is to get the problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is illuminated or not. This will help you make repairs based on the real problem, rather than just throwing parts at it. Most auto parts stores will read codes for you for free on a "time-available" basis. Common problem which cause the limp mode condition include: failed speed sensor in the transmission, a faulty throttle position sensor (engine), and valve/solenoid problems in the transmission. Make sure the transmission fluid is at the correct level, and is pink and doesn’t smell burned. I recommend a transmission inspection after getting problem codes checked, performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.