Q: What are signs of a cracked block?

asked by on March 13, 2018

I have a 4.7L and they have a weak block, im leaking coolant from somewhere (not the water pump) and my engine will stutter around 4th gear and the RPMs will drop to about 1300 and the truck will start shaking a bit. Is this because my block is cracked? I just changed all spark plugs as well.

Hi Jarod. Thanks for the question today. The engine block is a rather large component, meaning that there are multiple warning signs that it’s cracked. The leading symptom is a coolant or oil leak not coming from a line or connection. Engine performance is typically not impacted by a small crack, but it will eventually cause overheating, mix coolant with oil and cause serious engine damage.