Q: Vibration in wheel

I am at my whit's end with this problem, my dealer replaced my speed wheel sensor and power steering gear box because my breaks were not engaging all the time (as if on ice), I dropped my car off and they had it for two days and when I got my car back there was a vibration in the wheel, I need to stress there was NO vibration before I dropped my car off to have this work done, they tried to claim it was my back tires I strongly disagreed because they were only a year old and would have noticed it before, put new tires on still a vibration and they keep coming up with big $ fixes such as the suspension that would cost $1200 per front and back so $2400 for no guarantee fix so I seek a second opinion, they said it was my rotors (they were bad) cost me over $600 but there is still a vibration at my wheel, What could they have done to my car to cause a vibration? its driving me nuts and I don't want to pay for repairs that don't resolve the problem, anyone have any ideas?

A: If they rotated your tires on the original ...

If they rotated your tires on the original visit (either intentionally or inadvertently) an already out-of-balance tire/wheel from the rear may have been put on front where it could now be felt causing vibration at the steering wheel. Brake rotors would only cause vibration during braking.

Be sure there is no mud accumulated on the inside of a wheel. I would probably have a different tire shop verify correct balance on all four tires and also try moving the front tires to rear and putting the rears on front to see if that makes any difference.

It sounds like you had this work performed at a GM dealer. I’m assuming by now that you have spoken with the Service Manager and not just a Service Adviser. I would recommend visiting with the Service Manager one more time (Call GM Customer Service to file a complaint and get a case number first). Explain your dissatisfaction with their inability to solve this issue and offer him one more opportunity to make it right. Depending on how that goes you may need to ask him for the name and number of their GM District Service Manager.

If you would like an independent mechanic to give your car an inspection, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your steering vibration and let you know exactly what’s going on.