Q: Vibration in steering wheel at 70 mph

When I’m driving 70 mph on the interstate, there is a vibration in the steering wheel. All 4 tires of my pickup have been balanced. The dealership (same one as where I purchased the pickup) told me that it is something that I might have to live with. In my thinking, if my tires were bad or had any problems then that should have been revealed during the balancing job. I’m thinking that it might be a problem coming from the rack or perhaps a tie-rod end. Can you tell me your assessment of this and hopefully it’s not something that I’ll have to ‘live with’ and hopefully is fixable?

Hello. If the tires that are currently on the car are defective, this type of vibration may occur. It may be necessary to replace them. Other possible causes for the vibration may be a faulty tie rod, rack and pinion, or other suspension parts. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection in order to determine why your car is vibrating and let you know how to proceed with repair.

3. Vibration in steering wheel at 70 mph