Q: Van won't start randomly - 1995 GMC G2500

My van cannot start sometimes. It happens completely at random. It would turn over but not start. The last time it occurred, I checked the rotor, distributor cap, checked for leaks. All looked fine. After that, I turned the key in the ignition and it started right up. It's unpredictable when this problem might occur so it's very annoying and I'm a bit concerned to go on a longer trip for fear I might not be able to start the van.How can this be fixed?

A: Hello. The only way to fix the problem is t...

Hello. The only way to fix the problem is to verify the problem and test it for spark or fuel pressure loss. You may have a fuel pump, a distributor spark module, or ignition coil causing it. Make sure you disconnect the wires to the coil and module to make sure they are clean and reinstall. If you loose spark, then a coil would be tested to see if it is getting a spark signal from the module and if it does then replace the coil. If it does not, then replace the module and the coil. The coil sometimes overheats the module. If you would like to have this diagnosed, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the starting problem and assist with proper repairs.