Q: Van won't start and is squirting gas into carburetor

My van will not start and it is squirting gas into the carburetor. The engine will run for only 3 seconds. I need to know what electrical tests that I can run to isolate the problem. For example, checking for voltage in the fuel pump, etc. Also, I need to know if the inertia switch is reset. Can you assist me with these?

If the fuel pump runs, then the inertia switch is not tripped. It sounds like you are saying that it starts in cranking mode then dies when you let off the switch. This can be caused by a bad TFI module. Check for battery voltage to the R/LG wire at the Thick Film Ignition (TFI) module, and if present with the key "On" in the run position, replace the TFI module. If you need help with all of this, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can diagnose your car’s starting issue and let you know what needs to be repaired.