Q: Van not starting. Only starts after sitting.

1996 Dodge Ram van does not want to start. It will start after sitting for a while, but once turned off, does not want to start again. It will also overheat once in a while and the Check Engine light comes on occasionally.

A: I would first recommend enlisting the help ...

I would first recommend enlisting the help of a professional to scan your vehicle for trouble codes. The check engine light may be related to your issue. The issue you are having may be related to your cooling system since it is overheating. Many engines will shut off automatically if the coolant reaches a certain temperature. I would have the same technician perform a cooling system pressure test on your vehicle to search for cooling system issues that could cause overheating. Once any issues are found, I would have them fixed as soon as possible to avoid damage to other parts of the vehicle.