Q: Trying to determine whether to replace my stock flywheel

On my model of corvette there is a common problem of crankshaft wobble. CM states that a certain amount is acceptable. However, I cannot diagnose whether the wobble on my car is an acceptable amount. As a fix, many owners have replaced the stock flywheel with a more dependable and high-quality aftermarket version. How do I determine if I need to replace my stock flywheel with an aftermarket version?

A: If crankshaft wobble is over an acceptable ...

If crankshaft wobble is over an acceptable amount, it will show itself as excessive movement at the harmonic balancer pulley, as a noisy belt, or as a noisy flex plate or flywheel inside the transmission. If the vehicle is not exhibiting any symptoms, the wobble may probably be within acceptable range. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, drive the vehicle, to see if the engine is responding soundly.