Q: Trying to determine whether to replace my stock flywheel

On my model of corvette there is a common problem of crankshaft wobble. CM states that a certain amount is acceptable. However, I cannot diagnose whether the wobble on my car is an acceptable amount. As a fix, many owners have replaced the stock flywheel with a more dependable and high-quality aftermarket version. How do I determine if I need to replace my stock flywheel with an aftermarket version?

If crankshaft wobble is over an acceptable amount, it will show itself as excessive movement at the harmonic balancer pulley, as a noisy belt, or as a noisy flex plate or flywheel inside the transmission. If the vehicle is not exhibiting any symptoms, the wobble may probably be within acceptable range. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, drive the vehicle, to see if the engine is responding soundly.