Q: Trouble starting - 2004 Hyundai Elantra

Car starts and jerks around and then dies first time. Starts again and does the same the next time and I rev it a bit and it settles down and behaves normally again. Drove fine all the way to town. Turned it off went to an appointment. Got in wouldn't start. Got it on the third or 4th try. Drove it home fine. Have had spark plugs and leads replaced 4 months ago. Has just been serviced over 2 months ago

Hey there. Your symptoms may well describe a fuel supply issue - specifically fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure regulator and/or check valve are not working properly, engine start, especially after the vehicle has been sitting for a bit will take longer than it should.

There should be partial pressure in the fuel system when the engine is shut down to assist fast startup. When the pressure regulator and/or fuel check valve malfunction, the fuel pump is having to run longer to build up enough pressure for the fuel injectors to work properly - requiring long "cranking" cycles. To get a precise diagnosis of this, I would recommend having a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the starting problem in person so that this can be corrected.