Q: Transmission works until engine warms up then the rpms jump and transmission won't change gears could it be the IAC? 03 cavalier

asked by on November 19, 2017

My 03 cavalier is having problems with the transmission not catching gear after the car has warmed up. When it first starts it runs good then it warms up and the rpms jump without me putting my foot on the gas could the transmission not catch because of the rpms which could be caused by the IAC going bad or is the transmission just shot?

The idle air control valve will not affect transmission shift points. The throttle position sensor might though and there are other transmission controls, including electrically controlled solenoids in the transmission valve body, that might be at issue. It first has to be determined if this is an engine issue, transmission issue, or something involving engine sensor outputs that determine shift points. Such a determination can only be made with on-site testing and test driving the car. If you want a certified mechanic from YourMechanic to resolve this, the relevant service to request is a transmission shift diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.