Q: Transmission won't shift into park - 1988 Chevrolet S10

will not shift in to park and indicator is off when it says neutral its in over drive. Is there a way to adjust linkage or is it internal .

A: Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. ...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. If your vehicle has a linkage, there should be an adjustment nut to adjust how long or short the linkage should be. Check for the nut and adjust the linkage to make the transmission go into park. If you adjusted the linkage and the transmission still will not go into park, then you need to fix the linkage pin inside the transmission.

Remove the oil pan and gasket, draining all of the oil. Look up in the transmission on its side and you will see a long rod linkage. You will have to manually shift the transmission into low and then bend the rod up or down a little, depending on how it is bent. Then manually shift the transmission into park, and the rod should go all the way.

Put a new gasket on, the pan back on, and new fluid into the transmission. For the indicator on the dash, there is a cable that needs to be adjusted in the column, which will make the little red or black needle move back and forth. You will need to remove the steering wheel and horn to access the cable.

Once adjusted, move the transmission shifter up and down to see the needle move. When done, put the steering wheel back on and hook up the horn. If you need assistance with your transmission, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to perform an inspection to determine why the car is not shifting into park.