Q: Transmission slip

What could be causing my engine to slip despite the oil levels being correct? It also seems to slip more when it's cold. I just got the vehicle, so I'm not sure when the oil has last been changed.

A: The transmission slipping is not due to the...

The transmission slipping is not due to the fluid unless it has leaked out. The slipping is due to the forward clutches inside the transmission being worn out and not being able to grip any more. Your transmission's front pump of the transmission is not producing enough pressure to lock up the clutches.

Take out the dipstick and smell the oil. If it is dark in color and smells burnt, then your transmission will need to be overhauled by a transmission mechanic. If the fluid smells okay, then your EPC or electronic pressure control solenoid inside the transmission pan may have a broken bracket and backed out. The EPC solenoid should be replaced with the bracket that holds it. The pressure test would show the loss of pressure and the need to drop the transmission pan to check the solenoid. If you want to have this properly diagnosed before making any repairs, one of our certified mechanics can visit your home or office to inspect your car's transmission slip and determine what repair is needed.