Q: How do I clean and maintain the seat belts?

How do I clean and maintain the seat belts?

A: Seat belts are pretty important to safety –...

Seat belts are pretty important to safety – they’re the most critical safety feature on your entire car. However, in order to work properly, they need to be cleaned and well maintained. Dirt and debris in the belt webbing can cause your seat belts to malfunction (particularly if it enters the retractor). Cleaning your belts is easy, though. Just:

1. Use mild soap and water.

2. Use a soft brush.

3. Clean and then dry each seat belt’s webbing.

4. Using a clean cloth and soapy water, clean the opening of each anchor (the point where they retract into the car).

Tip

Never use bleach on your seat belts as this can damage the webbing. Also, avoid solvents and chemicals. Only use mild soap and water.