Q: Transmission is missing output shaft speed sensor port

I bought a 2003 ford ranger and the problem it had was the transmission needed to be replaced. The previous included a transmission and upon replacing it we found out that there was no port for the output shaft speed sensor as the supplied trans is a older version of the 5r55e and not the updated version for the 2003 model year.. Is there anyway to bypass this so it can pass emissions and not throw a check engine light.

The problem in performing a bypass is it is illegal in all jurisdictions to bypass, or modify, any vehicle component for the express purpose of defeating mandated emissions testing. If the output shaft in the two transmissions is identical (including presence of any required tone rings on the shaft) and the case is identical, you can modify the case, that is create the required hole to insert the sensor but again that assumes the cases are identical and the shaft construction is identical, that is the shaft has the design required for the particular type of sensor that is used. Otherwise, you’ll have to change out the transmission, or at least the final drive. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Transmission is missing output shaft speed sensor port