Q: Q: Odometer not working

I bought a new aftermarket speedometer but the odometer and trip meter counts miles to fast i drove for approx. 500-600 feet and the odometer and trip meter marked 12 miles traveled. I have already replaced the speedometer cable and bought a new speedometer but it still does the same thing. The speedometer is a equus 8076. Any idea of what it could be? Thanks.

The speedometer is calibrated to read the correct miles per hour and distance driven at the speedometer factory. Are you sure you misread the odometer to be 1.2 miles and not 12 miles? If the far right number is a tenth of a mile and the rest is miles driven, then you put on 1.2 miles. If you are getting a reading of 12.0 then you have a problem with the speedometer. When I look up, the speedometer the far right number has a white background and is for tenths of a mile and the rest of the numbers have a black background and are for miles driven. If you find that you are indeed getting the wrong mileage, then you may want to take the speedometer back. The problem may actually lay with a faulty speed sensor or a bad ECM. If you want to have this diagnosed, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect your speedometer and let you know what needs to be done.

3. Q: Odometer not working