Q: Transmission doesnt shift

My automatic transmission jerks when changing between park, neutral, drive, etc. And when it's in drive it doesnt switch gears at all. The check engine light is always on, It has fluid, and the car was bought second hand from someone who did not use it for years.

You should first request a check engine light diagnostic in case there are stored trouble codes that implicate the transmission shifting fault that you are describing. If the stored codes do not implicate the transmission, or once those codes are tracked down and resolved you still have the shift difficulty, the Factory Service Manual decision tree would then be employed to diagnose the transmission. In your circumstance, if the transmission is original and has never been rebuilt it might be more cost effective to go ahead and have it rebuilt. That is, three hundred twenty thousand miles (320,000) is a lot of miles for a passenger car transmission and you will likely end up with a better result if you just rebuild the whole thing at this juncture. If you request the check engine light diagnostic the mechanic will give you further and additional advice once he or she has a chance to inspect the vehicle. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Transmission doesnt shift