Q: Transmission

So I have this car that I'm probably gonna do work for for a buddy and he says he would remove the battery cable for so long and then put it back on and it will work. Afterwards I guess while he is driving or if he starts it back up it will not go into drive. What's the deal with this car???

A: Try this: With the ignition key in the &quo...

Try this: With the ignition key in the "off" position, turn the key just far enough to disengage the mechanical shift lever lock, but not so far as to light up the dashboard. Then shift the transmission into neutral and start the engine. The shifter has two locking systems: one mechanical, that is also tied into the steering wheel lock, and an electric one that works off a multifunction switch under the steering column. This switch also activates the brake lights when the brake pedal is depressed. The switch, or wiring to same, is probably bad. Turning the ignition key as I described above is intended to release the mechanical lock, but not to energize the electric lock.