Q: Transmission staying in 3rd gear only and not shifting.

My truck would stay in third gear for months i replaced the tran fluid and the filter but nothing would happen, my trucj would make weird nouses like it didnt wanna shift then after my changing the fluid one time the trans stayed in third gear and would not come out untill i unplugged the batter and figured out it was stuck in limp mode, what do i need to replace so it dosent do that again?

Hi there. The transmission could have an issue with the shift solenoids. Check the wiring harness to the transmission case and make sure that it is plugged in. 3rd gear is the only forward gear in a 4L60E transmission that does not require electrical power. It is common for the electrical harness in the transmission to short out. I recommend checking the harness inside the transmission for continuity and if the resistance is too high or an open circuit, then replace the harness inside the transmission. If the harness is good, then it is possible that both the shift solenoids A and B have failed and need replaced. If you need further assistance with your transmission stuck in limp mode, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Transmission staying in 3rd gear only and not shifting.