Q: Paid $2900 for replacing 6 engine coils, replacing spark plugs & brake work. Cat converter now issue 2009 Buick Enclave

asked by on June 19, 2017

I took my vehicle to the dealership & dreaded hearing the $2900 quote for repairs, much less to replace the bad 1 coil, told better off to replace 6 coils because they regular fail soon thereafter & then you incur labor charges all over. I sucked it up & paid. Drove great for 1 - 1 1/2 days. Then sounded sluggish. Check engine light came on in a few days. To dealership. Cat converter code. re-set it & said it didn't come back on so just drive it. Told me that replacing the coils probably caused fuel to enter the Cat and it would likely just burn off. Keep driving. Return if light came back on because then Cat converter needs replaced. Said $1200. I didn't have the $2900 let alone $1200 more. Comes a place when you have to stop pouring cash into the vehicle but I cannot afford to replace it. Wouldn't dealership be liable for the repair cost if they leaked fuel in to the Cat and ruined it in their pricey engine coil replacement job? I read fuel entering it ruins it.

Hi there. The fact that the vehicle needed this work in the first place is what would have caused the converter to fail. When a cylinder misfires from bad plugs or coils then the excessive fuel will ruin a converter. The dealer is not responsible for the converter but they should have been able to tell you that it was bad prior to replacing all of the other parts. That would have then allowed you to make a better decision as to whether or not you want to fix it. I would bring this to their attention and they should give you a partial reimbursement due to the faulty diagnosis.