Q: Toyota says I need an alignment after putting in front wheel bearing in all wheel drive Highlander ?

Same as above. Thanks

A: Hey there. If your wheel bearing is of the ...

Hey there. If your wheel bearing is of the bolt-on type (bolts to knuckle, typically three large bolts) you do NOT need an alignment. However, if the shop can check the alignment and can competently perform as needed, this is ALWAYS a good idea.

If your wheel bearing is of the press-fit type and thus the steering knuckle had to be removed from your car, you might need an alignment.

Technically, the critical factor in that latter scenario is whether camber is adjustable on your car. If camber is adjustable and the steering knuckle was removed from your car, you do need an alignment because the original camber position was lost when the knuckle was removed.

If you have fixed camber (some cars are fixed with no adjustment normally possible), theoretically everything will go back in the original position. Despite these details, it is always a good idea to have the alignment checked, but keep in mind that it has to be done on a calibrated machine. The reason alignment is important is you can quickly destroy expensive tires if alignment is not set properly and can worsen MPG in addition. Lastly, an improperly aligned car will fight you at the steering wheel and make for a worse driving experience.