Q: Top gets stuck open

My car has 169,500 miles on it. It’s a wonderful car. I love the convertible top. But now the top gets stuck, and I am afraid to put it down in case it won’t go back up again. I tried to do a simple harness fix, but it didn’t last very long. Do you think I should keep fixing my car or get a new one?

A: Hello. Most of the time this occurs when th...

Hello. Most of the time this occurs when the lift motor is failing. This is the most common failure on this top. When it cannot lift it any further, then it is failing internally. I usually do an amperage draw test of it to see if it is failing. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the related electrical components and pinpoint what needs repair.