2010 dodge avenger saying hotoil where the grears are sup...

Q: 2010 dodge avenger saying hotoil where the grears are supposed to be. If you drive it it dissapears and engine light turns on.

asked by on September 22, 2017

My 2010 dodge avenger is saying hotoil on the dash where it says if you're parked or on drive. The P R N D are boxed in and theres an 8 next to them. When i try the code checking thats already in my car nothing pops up. Twice has my car not wanted to shift over the course of a month. It wants to go fast from the lightest touch. And rmp are at 2.5k going 30mph. Its the 2.4l v4. 4 speed

If the check engine light is on, then trouble codes have been stored. Even if the light goes off, the codes are still stored in memory and with an appropriate scan tool, the mechanic will read the codes. To get that accomplished, and get an estimate of what, if anything, will require repair, the recommended service is a check engine light diagnostic. The codes might relate to the transmission fault(s) that you are describing. However, once all the codes are resolved, if the transmission is still overheating and/or not shifting at the correct shift points, the same mechanic who performs the engine diagnostic will evaluate the transmission. Issues there could relate to external controls, shift solenoids (valve body) and/or internal mechanical or hydraulic faults. If you schedule the recommended diagnostic, the mechanic will resolve this promptly for you and all on a mobile basis right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns as you decide what to do, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.