Q: Today my oil pressure gauge jumped to high. It still runs fine, no awkward sound or anything, but as soon as I turn the key to accelerate, it shoots back to normal range

Today my oil pressure gauge jumped to high. It still runs fine, no awkward sound or anything, but as soon as I turn the key to accelerate, it shoots back to normal range

Hi, thanks for writing in. With the key on engine off, your gauge should read low pressure. The oil sender near oil filter should be disconnected to see if the gauge now reads zero pressure. Now ground the wire you just disconnected to see if gauge goes up to max. If the gauge does this okay then replace the oil sender. When the oil sender is out you should have oil pressure checked at that time to make sure there are no oil pressure problems. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Today my oil pressure gauge jumped to high. It still runs fine, no awkward sound or anything, but as soon as I turn the key to accelerate, it shoots back to normal range