Q: How do the front air bags work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do the front air bags work?

The front air bags in your car are designed to provide important protection in the event of certain types of collision. Here’s what you need to know about them:

1. Multiple Thresholds: Once, air bags only inflated. However, yours have multiple thresholds and can inflate to different degrees depending on the severity of the collision.

2. Collision Types: The front air bags will generally only inflate in front-end collisions, as well as possibly during severe side collisions. They’re not designed to deploy in rear-end collisions.

3. With or Without Seat Belts: Your front air bags can deploy whether you’re wearing your seat belt or not. If you’re not wearing your belt, the chance of sustaining a serious injury is much higher.

Tip

Front air bags deflate instantly after inflating to reduce the chance of injury.

It is possible for only one front air bag to inflate during certain types of impacts.