Q: Tire size change

Hello.. I have a 1999 Chevy Venture. Right now the stock tires on it are 215 /70 R15 I'm buying all new tires and I'm trying to save money. Can I replace those with 205 /70 R15 with out any problems?

There are some differences in the two tire sizes and I will go through some of them for you.

See the table below for differences in dimensions:

’Differences

Speedometer Differences

Speedometer Reading / Actual Speed

20 mph / 19.59 mph
25 mph / 24.49 mph
30 mph / 29.38 mph
35 mph / 34.28 mph
40 mph / 39.18 mph
55 mph / 53.87 mph
65 mph / 63.67 mph

Besides the above differences you will notice a drop in fuel mileage of about 1 to 2 miles per gallon since the new tires are smaller and the engine will have to run faster to go the same speed. The new tires will obviously also appear smaller when looking at the vehicle. Have the new tire stood up next to the vehicle when you get to the tire store before installing to see the difference in height.