Q: Ticking when car starts up but then fades away after minutes.

A loud ticking happens when the car is turned on and after 2-3 min the ticking will eventually fade away.

Hi there. Sometimes an engine will tick when it’s first starting due to a lack of lubrication on top of the motor. The ticking sound is commonly caused by opening and closing valves or rocking arms. This could mean the car is low on oil or there is a problem with the oil delivery system that needs to be repaired. The noise can go away once the parts are properly lubricated.

To be safe, it would be a good idea to have a local ASE certified mechanic complete a routine inspection to diagnose the exact cause of the engine ticking sound.