Q: Ticking noise during acceleration - 1998 Chevrolet Tahoe

There is a ticking noise when accelerating. The noise gets louder and faster with increased acceleration. It doesn't happen all the time though. Sometimes it starts when the truck is cold and other times it will start after the truck has been driven but shut off and restarted. It doesn't happen during idle or when coasting or braking. Oil level and pressure are good. Truck runs fine but with a little sputtering during initial acceleration.

Hello. If the noise is intermittent like this most of the time, it is due to a failing valve lifter. When a lifter will not hold pressure then this will occur. It can also happen if there is a bad spark plug wire, but that is not as common or as loud. I would need to hear the noise to know for sure, but either of these will cause this. If you are planning on having this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and guide through appropriate repairs.