Q: My speedometer stopped working

asked by on September 18, 2016

The transmission was overfilled causing the fluid to not cycle properly. The fluid then overheated on a trip, burned some, and the speedometer stopped working. The battery was old and needed to be replaced. To get the car started after the transmission fluid overheated I had to jump it. The power steering light came on shortly after. I took it to a dealership. They replaced the battery, drained and refilled the transmission, and replaced the vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. They claimed I needed to replace the power steering ECU also. When I took it to an independent mechanic he claimed I needed to replace the speed sensor again. I bought a speed sensor and replaced it myself as it is a relatively easy process, but the speedometer still doesn't work. When I replaced the speed sensor, I noticed the shaft that transmits rotation from the transmission to the sensor didn't have a head on it the way some of the pictures have shown it, it just had a roughened top. Help!

Hello. The Toyota Yaris has an ABS system that has small sensors in each wheel. When the ABS system has any of these sensors that are not working, this will also cause the speedometer to not work as well. I would recommend checking each of the other wheel sensors as well. If you need help having this diagnosed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to pinpoint the cause of your speedometer issue.