Q: Advice on buying a 4-wheel drive vehicle with minor and major repairs

I'm looking for a car on Craigslist, mainly a 4-wheel drive. What repairs would you say are minor and what are the deal-breakers?

A: Minor are the stuff like brakes, water pump...

Minor are the stuff like brakes, water pump leaking, radiator caps with holes in them - stuff that doesn’t cost that much to fix and what you can easily do by yourself. But, if the transmission or the engine have a serious problem--those are deal-breakers. If the 4-wheel drive system is broken, don’t buy it. That’s will cost too much money. Since 4-wheel driving is so complex on modern cars, my advice is to always have a mechanic inspect the vehicle before you give your money to pay for it. If you want peace of mind when buying a car from a secondary source, YourMechanic can come to the car’s location to do a pre-purchase inspection. They can tell you what shape the vehicle is in. I always do that with 4-wheel drive used cars as they are expensive to fix.