Q: Trouble starting and accelerating

My car is very slow to accelerate. Anywhere from starting speed to about 55 mph, the car struggles to develop speed. There is also an occasional starting problem so I have to jump-start the car. Are these problems connected? How can I fix this?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2002 Hyundai Elantra. There are several possibilities here that require further research. First off, it sounds like your transmission is in "limp" mode, which causes it to start off in 2nd gear (poor acceleration). A clogged catalytic converter (low power output) or simply an engine tune-up problem could also be contributing to this. Finally, there is also a possibility that you also have a weak battery or charging system which can cause poor starting. If you’d like to have this done, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the starting issue and pinpoint the fault.