Q: My car won't start and the check engine light and check oil lights are on

asked by on May 13, 2016

My car sat for a couple weeks. I went to drive it this afternoon, and the check engine and oil lights are on. The check engine light flashes ten times. When I try to start the car, it makes a rapid clicking sound. I checked the oil levels and they're okay. Previously there was corrosion on the battery but I had already fixed that. What could this be? Dead battery?

The clicking sound can occur when there is not enough battery power getting to the starter to crank the engine. If the cables were corroded, then the battery may be sulfated and need to be replaced. A simple battery check will tell if the battery is bad or not.

If the battery is more than two or three years old, then it is most likely bad and in need of replacing. A certified mechanic will be able to ensure that your battery is working properly and diagnose the trouble codes you’re receiving.