Q: Intermittent "no start" or dies while running fine on highway - what's wrong? 2003 Buick Rendezvous

Sometimes jumping it helps sometimes it starts on its own sometimes it dies driving down the road. When it dies the rpms jump around and then it dies. The last time it locked up the security system as well.

A: Hi there: Once the vehicle starts, the job...

Hi there:

Once the vehicle starts, the job of the battery is pretty much done; which means if you're having issues with the vehicle shutting off, it's most likely caused by ignition system components; such as a the distributor or the crankshaft position sensor perhaps. It's possible that you have battery cables that are corroded or a battery that's losing cold cranking amps. Since there are multiple items that could be causing your issues, it's probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete an engine is hard to start inspection.

A: Hello - you don't indicate if either th...

Hello - you don't indicate if either the "no start" or "dies while running down the highway" scenarios results in a Check Engine light condition, but I would check for problem codes either way. For both stalling and no-start conditions, a failing crankshaft position sensor or a failing fuel pump/faulty fuel pump relay would behave similar to what you are experiencing. I believe these problems have the same source. I would recommend a thorough inspection of the fuel supply and ignition systems completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.