Q: Thumps and grinding noises in differential

Recently, I started hearing thumps and a grinding noise from the rear differential area. When I took it to the dealership for repair, I was told that they needed to replace the power steering pump and change the differential fluid. They kept the car for 7 days. After getting it, the thumping noise was gone, but the grinding sound is still there. The grinding is a bit lighter in volume after the differential fluid change, but it is definitely still there when I’m turning around 10-15 miles without giving it gas.

It is possible that you could have a faulty wheel bearing. Wheel bearings can often cause grinding noises when the lubrication onside them dries up. I would recommend having your vehicle inspected once more for a rear wheel bearing failure.

This test can be performed using a mechanics stethoscope. If the wheel bearing has failed, it would be best to replace the bearing as soon as possible as the heat that is created from the lack of wheel bearing lubrication can cause other parts near it, such as the brakes, to fail as well. If you want to have this looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect your car’s noise and let you know what is going on.