Q: Car had jet engine and loud fan noises

My car started making a noise similar to a jet engine and had an extremely loud fan sound. It sounded like the car would blow up! When I got to the dealership, fortunately the engine had not overheated. If I had kept driving it surely would have been significant damage to the car’s engine! I was told it was a faulty water pump which had caused the wiring to burn out and they had seen an oil leakage near the engine. They told me that I have to replace the thermostat, water pump, plus the gasket and other parts. Before I tell them to go forward, do you agree with them and/or any advice?

A: Hi there. From what you are relating, this ...

Hi there. From what you are relating, this doesn’t sound like an out of the ordinary diagnosis or list of recommended work. In addition, a faulty fan clutch can make the loud, "jet engine" noise that you describe. You may want to have another mechanic inspect the noise issue firsthand to verify which parts need repair.