Q: Thumping noise and vibration at lower speeds

My car has gone around 135,000 miles. When I'm driving at speed 35 mph and lower, I notice a slight vibration and a thumping noise. I'm not sure where it's coming from exactly, but it might be from the rear suspension or even maybe from the drive shaft. Do you have any idea what might be making this noise?

Hello there, with the 2002 CL500 and many other older vehicles it is not uncommon to develop vibration issues. The most common causes would be a damaged rim, out-of-balance tire, failed strut or shock, or another failed suspension component. With so many different possible causes, diagnosis would be required to give a more refined answer. The first step a technician will do when looking at this is to take it for a test drive. This will help narrow what could be the cause. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the shaking and vibrating problem and follow through with needed repairs.