Q: There is a grinding noise when I start my car.

My car is able to start up, but I noticed yesterday as I was doing several errands and starting and shutting down my car regularly it would make a grinding noise as I start it up. I am not a car guy really at all, so I am not sure, but my first thought was the starter. Is there something else that could be the problem or ways I could check to see what could be the problem? I have also noticed that when it is cold out my car has a little bit of trouble turning over or starting. It always starts on it's first try, but definitely sounds like it has some trouble starting.

Hello, It sounds like you may have a faulty [starter solenoid](starter solenoid that could be hanging up on the flywheel which would produce a grinding noise as you start the car. If you hear a clicking sound when turning the key, it is likely that your starter solenoid may be faulty. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. In your case, this small gear that comes out to engage the flywheel may be not retracting as it should which would cause it to grind against the flywheel of the motor once it starts. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.