Q: Back brake clamped afteer releasing the E-brake

I own 2009 Honda Civic SI Sedan. Every now and then when the car is parked, on a selection brake or emergency brake, it's fine. But when I take it for a drive and release the E-brake, my car would feel as the back brake is still clamped. What would be the cause?

A: The first thing you want to do if you feel ...

The first thing you want to do if you feel it jerking like that is quickly jack up the wheel and pull off the tires and see if they are sticking. If they are sticking, a lot of times, the e-brakes are sticking because of cables and what you want to do is get some WD-40 and spray all the cables to loosen them up.

It could be they are corroded. If it keeps sticking, you will need to replace the cables. Those things will rust, especially if you live up north. The rust will get on the cable and start to corrode. So you should spray them for three to four weeks with WD-40 to keep them from corroding. Do this to keep it from happening in the future. If you want to have this taken care of by a professional, a technician from YourMechanic can visit your home or office to inspect your brake system and perform any necessary tasks.