Q: The shop is saying the power steering pump is bad and it needs a new line for $820

All of the power steering fluid started leaking out all over the front half of the motor. We took it to the shop and they say the power steering pump was bad and the power steering line was bad, they say it would be a seven hour job and would cost $820.00 to fix. Is this estimation right.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in about your Pon...

Hello, thanks for writing in about your Pontiac G6. If the power steering hose leaked out all of the fluid then I’m not sure as to why you would need to replace the whole pump. You could just replace the pressure line first to see if it fixes the issue as it may work correctly afterwards. I’d recommend getting another opinion from a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who can diagnose the power steering leak and suggest what to do from there. Good luck.