Q: AC compressor frozen

asked by on September 12, 2016

I may have just froze my ac compressor. I understand that the clutch still may turn. Can i just disconect the ac compressor and use the clutch until i can get ac compressor bypass in

Hello. If the compressor is internally seized and the vehicle can run with the A/C off, then you are okay to just disconnect the compressor. Sometimes the failure is the bearing in the A/C pulley and will seize up causing the belt to break. If this is the case, then you will need to replace the compressor and or pulley to fix the issue. A bypass of the compressor is an aftermarket item and directions would need to be followed to install the kit.