Q: The oil gage reads full over, even with the engine not running but ignition on.

asked by on February 21, 2017

The oil gage is reading full over (80 lbs), even with the ignition on but engine not running. It is about 1 quart low on oil. Seems to run as normal. I turned the engine on and off a couple of times and it still acts the same. The gage drops to 0 lbs with the ignition off. Thanks Ralph White, Neoga, IL

The most common cause of the problem can be the oil pressure sender unit needs replaced and and the filter screen below it needs removed and cleaned. When the pressure sensor is removed you should have the oil pressure tested with a manual gauge to see if the pressures are stuck at 80 psi indicating problems with oil pump check valve stuck. If pressures are within specifications then proceed with sensor replacement and screen cleaning.