Q: How to fix oxidation of paint

I was wondering--what is the best way to deal with the oxidation of paint? Painted a clear on a plastic hood scooter rear spoiler of my WRX and failed. The easiest way is to just remove and repaint.

When it fails with oxidation like that, you’ve got to get to the bare metal. There’s no way out of it. Just go get some of that commercial Thompson cords paint remover. The gel works best.

If you’ve got a paint brush, paint it on and the gel will eat through it after sitting there for an hour or so. Then you keep wiping that off and do it until you’re down to the bare metal.

Then you start with the primer and do the whole thing over. Because, once that oxidizes, it’s too far gone and you just got to repaint the whole thing if you want to do a good job.

I’ve seen guys trying to sand them and repaint, but then they look really bad after a year or even less. Sometimes they look bad even after they repainted them, because of too much old paint on sadolin.

3. How to fix oxidation of paint