Q: The ignition is not functioning properly for both keys. 1998 Mercedes Benz CLK320

if you step on the brake when trying to start it, it feels as if the magnetic grab that it usually does tries to grab the key but it happens sometimes and sometimes not. but when it happens and you leave the key inside the ignition it will start again, if the key is taken out it is a battle to have it accepted by the ignition. Please assist the mechanic said we should take it to Mercedes Benz. before TAKING IT THERE PLEASE ADVISE

The problem sounds like the EIS - Electronic Ignition Switch. It can be a costly and time consuming replacement. Be sure both keys are with the vehicle if you take it in for replacement. You may be able to start the vehicle in the manner that you are doing but eventually, it will not start at all.

• The ignition is not functioning properly for both keys. 1998 Mercedes Benz CLK320