Q: the engine has a melattic rattleing sound and oil leaking

asked by on March 21, 2017

I have a 2000 Honda CRV. In the past 3 years, the engine has a metallic rattling sound that is not associated with pressing gas peddle. It will become less noticing as the engine warms up. It also has oil leaking beneath it. It's mileage is over 20,000 miles.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The noise may be related to the oil leak. Low oil pressure and lack of lubrication to the engine causes a large number of engine components to wear quickly and rub when they should not. Locate and resolve the oil leak first. If you can see the leak, then its exterior and you can trace the leak to its source. If you cannot see fluid leaking, then it may be a leaking head gasket. You can then retest the vehicle for the noise, and take further diagnostics from there need be. Contact our service department for more information about scheduling an appointment.