Q: Car shifts hard and rpms rev high on there own or car doesn't shift at all, ABS and traction control lights are on also. 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

Two weeks ago I went to pull away from a stop sign and the car hesitated to accelerate. That only lasted a day or two and then it went back to driving fine. Then just this past Sunday I jumped on the interstate and my cars rpms were almost into the red zone, so I backed off the gas and got off at the first exit. I pulled into a gas station shut car off and proceeded to take back roads home. I noticed the car would shift into 2nd hard and not want to shift into 3rd but would occasionally but once it would the car would rev on its own. Well I took the car to a shop and they told me it was a little low on transmission fluid but not enough to make the car drive like that. He stated he could service the tranny for $250 but wasn't guaranteeing it would fix anything. Well I don't want to fork the money out if its not going to be the problem. The car is now home and no transmission shop can get me in for a coupe weeks. Also the traction control and abs light is on. Is this tranny problems?

Hi there - first task is to be sure the transmission fluid is at the proper level, and in good condition (more pink than black, and no burned smell). Low fluid, or dirty fluid, can cause lots of unexpected transmission behavior. The second task is to check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is illuminated or not. The possible problem we’re looking for here is a failing throttle position sensor - which interacts with the transmission controller and affects shifting behavior. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car shifts hard and rpms rev high on there own or car doesn't shift at all, ABS and traction control lights are on also. 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt