Q: The engine comes close to shutting off while idling

When I start the engine, the odometer reads 200rpm at least

3. The engine comes close to shutting off while idling

Q: Oil leaking out and I keep replacing gaskets

The valve cover gasket is a rubber type seal that keeps oil from coming out of the engine. When the mechanic replaces the seal, they must clean the head surface thoroughly, wipe it down with brake cleaner, and dry the...

Q: Alarm going off when I jump my battery

When a battery goes dead, a lot of times the computer operates on the mode it went to sleep in. For example, if the doors are locked, the alarm becomes set. When it is woken up, the car assumes a...

Q: Sounds as if the car is not going into gear. I have RPM reading odometer, not sure what it should be reading when driving on freeway.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Watch the tachometer (rpm gauge) as the vehicle is in motion. When driving, you should see the tachometer go up and then go down a little when the transmission shifts gears. For 4...