Q: Car shakes and the check engine light is on

asked by on May 25, 2016

The dash in my car shows check engine light on and my car is shaking. I took it to the shop and scanned it. There was a misfiring of the cylinders 1, 4 and 6. I had all the sparkplugs replaced. The car now has new Iridium and Platinum sparkplugs. But, my engine light is still on and the car is shaking. What should I do?

Hello. If you have misfire codes on all of these cylinders, then the problem is much more in-depth. Most of the time when this occurs on one side of the engine, it is because the timing belt is worn out or there is a variable cam timing issue. On this engine it is usually because the timing belt needs to be replaced. If you need to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your car’s shaking issue, diagnose your Check Engine Light, and make any repairs that are needed.